Dallas Truck Accident Lawyer
Due to the large size of the vehicles, truck accidents can be the some of the most dangerous accidents on the road. If you were injured due in an accident like this, it is important to contact an experienced personal injury attorney with extensive knowledge of the trucking industry. W.T. Johnson wants to help you earn compensation for your damages and medical expenses.
The U.S. Department of Transportation (USDT) and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulate truck driving through setting federal guidelines the truck companies and its drivers must follow. These guidelines generally make a clear distinction of who is at fault in a truck accident. Multiple players can be responsible in a truck accident, including:
- The person driving the truck
- The owner of the truck
- The company leasing the truck from its owner
- The manufacturer of the truck’s parts
- The shipper of the truck’s cargo
Causes of Truck Accidents
Truck accidents have a few common causes:
Driver error – About 88 percent of truck accidents are a result of the drivers behind the wheel of large trucks, making drivers ten times more likely to be the cause than outside factors like weather and poor vehicle conditions. Because drivers often are on the road for extensive periods of time, the most common underlying reason drivers caused accidents was due to fatigue. Exhausted drivers lack a keen sense of awareness and often fall asleep behind the wheel, losing control and driving off the road or into oncoming traffic. Other factors, such as speeding, distractions and use of over-the-counter drugs, also played a role in these accidents.
Equipment problems – Just like cars and planes, trucks encounter failures in pieces of equipment from time to time that can affect the driver’s control of the vehicle. Most of the time, these accidents can be prevented by a thorough inspection and frequent maintenance of all equipment. Some examples of equipment failures include:
- Tire blowouts
- Improper trailer attachment
- Transmission failure
- Inadequate steering ability
- Dysfunctional brakes
What to do Immediately After a Truck Accident
One of the biggest mistakes after an accident is failure to gather sufficient evidence to help win a case. Avoid this by following our suggested steps to take after a truck accident:
- If either party is hurt, seek medical attention immediately by calling 911.
- Contact the police to get a credible third party at the scene and sort through procedures. When giving your statement regarding the accident, you should stick to the facts only. Do not make any speculations or take any fault. Accidents happen so quickly that no one should claim fault until all circumstances have been thoroughly reviewed by a seasoned attorney. Admitting fault too early can be used against you in court and force you to pay more than necessary. Additionally, you will want to request a police report when it is completed for your own records, your attorney’s and the insurance company’s.
- Take plenty of photographs. Whether you do this with a digital camera, a disposable camera or your phone, these come in handy when consulting an attorney to represent you. You will want to take pictures of all angles of the vehicles involved. If any skid marks were created, take pictures of those as well.
- Get the license plate numbers of all parties involved, as well as the names, phone numbers, insurance contact information, etc.
- Take notes regarding all pieces of equipment. Did your tire blow out? Are your brakes up to par? Observe both vehicles for overall condition. Finding a defective part of the truck can make the difference between who takes liability for injuries and damages.
Need a Truck Accident Attorney?
Truck accidents often result in serious injuries or even death due to the size of the vehicles involved. We understand the physical and emotional pain from these accidents can be life-altering, and we want to help. If you’ve been the victim of a truck accident, you need a law firm that has both the experience and tenacity required to pursue trucking companies, demanding proper compensation.
With more than 25 years of experience in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, we’re confident that we will be able to generate a fair settlement for your personal injury claim. Our experience handling previous truck accident lawsuits will prove invaluable in helping you get the compensation you deserve after such a traumatic experience. Contact us today for a free consultation and learn more about how we can help you.
We’ve Recovered Over $50 Million for Our Clients
Over the years, W.T. Johnson has advocated for clients who have experienced accidents on I-20, I-30, I-35, the Lyndon B. Johnson Freeway, and many others. We have the resources to help you too, no matter the size of the truck involved.
Small Truck Accidents
Whether your accident involves a moving truck or a delivery truck, our firm can help you get the compensation necessary to cover your medical and other expenses.
In most cases, the larger the truck involved, the greater the damages and injuries sustained. The time after a major 18-Wheeler Accident can be painful and financially taxing. Call The Law Offices of W.T. Johnson today, and let our trucking accident lawyers get started.
What We Know
A solid understanding of how the trucking industry works provides us with the upper hand in any personal injury truck accident claim. Knowing the hierarchy present in any trucking organization and which of the many companies involved may be responsible allows us to efficiently go after your settlement from the right source.
If The Other Side Fights Back
Our main goal is to gather enough information and to build a strong enough case so that a settlement can be made out of court. Should, however, the negligent party continue to deny a fair or just settlement, we will be fully prepared to take your claim to court. If appropriate, we may seek additional punitive damages as well.
Contact The Law Offices of W.T. Johnson
Call us at (972) 325-5302 or contact us online to discuss your trucking accident claim with a Dallas-Fort Worth truck accident attorney today.