(800) 738-4046
Local: (214) 231-0544

We know what it takes to win.

What to Do If You’re in an Accident with a Dallas Drunk Driver

By The Law Office of WT Johnson on August 12, 2016

Texas has one of the highest rates of drunk driving accidents in the entire country, and many of these accidents occur in Dallas County. If you are involved in such an accident, the first thing to do is seek immediate medical attention, especially if you are injured or bleeding. Make sure that someone has called for emergency assistance, or do so yourself, and be very careful about any neck or head injuries.

Once medical concerns are addressed, be sure to contact local law enforcement and wait for them to arrive on the scene. If you are the one who calls the police and you can see that the other driver is drunk, then be sure to mention that during the call. If the other driver attempts to leave the scene, try to get their license plate number and a description of their vehicle. As long as you are not injured, take pictures of the scene and any damage you can see, also be sure to get a copy of the police report filed for the accident.

You should also get the contact information for the other driver. This includes his or her name, address, phone number, and insurance information. If you notice that the other driver is drunk, then you should mention that to the police officer who responds to the scene.

Once you have taken care of any medical issues and police have made a report, then you should contact a Dallas law firm. The Law Office of WT Johnson to help you understand your rights and make sure you are protected after the accident. We can ensure that the other driver is held responsible for what happens. Any criminal charges that occur as a result of drunk driving do not directly relate to your rights to civil action against a drunk driver that strikes you, so an attorney can help you file a claim and bring a lawsuit if necessary to cover your damages.

It is vitally important that you do not sign anything, other than a police report if necessary, after you are in an accident with a Dallas drunk driver. If your own insurance company or the other driver’s insurance company wants you to sign anything, do not do so without a lawyer present. You should avoid talking to the other driver’s insurance company at all, and let one of us at The Law Office of WT Johnson handle it for you, to protect your rights and make sure your needs are met. We can be reached at (800) 738-4046.

Related Articles:

If you would like to discuss your claim with a member of our team, don’t hesitate to call us at (214) 231-0544. We’re ready to help you, and won’t rest until you receive the settlement you deserve.

Office Location

The Law Office of WT Johnson
901 Main Street
Suite 6551
Dallas, Texas 75202

Toll Free: (800) 738-4046
Local: (214) 231-0544
Click for directions

Connect With Us

Copyright & Disclaimer

The Law Office of WT Johnson Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth herein are based upon the facts of that particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. Please contact a lawyer for a consultation on your particular legal matter. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of Texas.

© 2019 by The Law Office of WT Johnson. All Rights Reserved.

Website Design, SEO and Legal Internet Marketing by: SLS Consulting | Blog Sitemap