May is National Bike Month. The weather in Texas is beautiful, and bicyclists all over the state are taking advantage of it by heading outdoors for a ride.
Experienced Texas bicycle accident lawyers encourage riders to stay safe as they enjoy their favorite sport. One of the easiest ways to prevent a bicycle wreck is to make sure your bicycle is in top condition before you head out. Here are some tips to help you ensure your bicycle is ready to go:
- Check the frame. While cleaning your bicycle’s frame, look for cracks, dents, and paint chips. Have a mechanic check any cracks or dents to ensure they don’t negatively affect the bike’s performance.
- Examine your wheels and tires. Make sure tires are inflated to the pressure recommended by the manufacturer and that the treads are in good shape. Check that the wheels are straight, spin smoothly, and don’t have any missing spokes.
- Test the brakes. Brake pads might need to be cleaned or replaced. Examine and lubricate brake cables as well – the brakes will work better if “communication” between the pads and the brake handles is smooth.
- Don’t forget the drive train. The chain and gears should be examined for wear, as well as for broken or missing links or gear teeth. Double-check all nuts and bolts to make sure they are tight and hold parts together firmly.
- Adjust the seat and handlebars to fit the rider’s body. Children’s bikes will especially need attention, since kids may have grown a great deal over the winter.
- How is your tool kit? Make sure your spare inner tube is in good shape, your bicycle pump works well, and that your other tools are ready to go in case of a breakdown.
For reliable legal guidance and representation after a bike crash, do not hesitate to call The Law Office of WT Johnson for a free, comprehensive consultation.