Motor vehicle accidents remain the number-one cause of death for children in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). With proper car seat use, however, the risk of death or injury for children decreases. Experienced Texas car accident lawyers urge all parents and caregivers to learn how to choose the right car seat for each child and how to install these seats correctly in their vehicles.
To help parents make more informed choices about car seat safety, the NHTSA recently launched several new tools, including a Car Seat Finder Tool available through SaferCar.gov. The agency also offers a number of tips for parents and caregivers for improving car seat safety. These include:
- Use the Car Seat Finder Tool to choose the right seat for your child’s age and size. The SaferCar.gov website also provides information on car seat safety recalls.
- If you discover your child’s safety seat has been recalled, get it fixed or replace it immediately.
- Read all the information and instructions that come with each new car seat. The owner’s manual for your vehicle can also provide information on how to install car seats properly.
- Visit your area’s car seat inspection station. A Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician will examine your car seat to make sure it is installed correctly.
- Make sure all children younger than 13 are seated in the back seat and are buckled in each time you drive. Encourage kids to wear seat belts by always wearing your own seat belt.
Seat belt use is one of the easiest ways to prevent death or serious injury in a crash. If you believe your child has suffered injury or worse due to a faulty car seat, please contact an experienced Dallas product liability attorney at The Law Office of WT Johnson today.