Certain rights of elderly individuals in Texas include:
- The right to make their own choices about personal affairs, care, benefits, and services,
- The right to use their own language when communicating about issues related to their treatment, care, or services they receive,
- The right to be free from abuse, neglect, or exploitation, including mental or emotional abuse, or the use of chemical restraints that are not required in order to treat diagnosed medical symptoms,
- The right to designate a representative or guardian to oversee their affairs if protective measures are needed,
- The right to be treated with dignity and in a safe and healthful manner while living in a nursing home or similar facility, regardless of the person’s race, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, or source of payment for nursing home care or other services.
If someone you love has been injured in the care of a nursing home, don’t wait: contact an experienced Texas nursing home injury lawyer immediately. An attorney can help you and your loved one understand what legal rights apply in your situation and fight to hold any negligent parties accountable for their actions. Contact The Law Office of WT Johnson at (800) 738-4046 to discuss your case.