Dallas Ignition Switch Recall Attorneys
See If You Can Get Compensation for a General Motors Ignition Switch Recall in Dallas
Have you or a loved one been in an accident involving a General Motors (GM) vehicle? You may have a viable Dallas auto product liability lawsuit against the major automotive company. Contact The Law Office of WT Johnson today to discuss your case with one of our dedicated legal team members. You can learn about your rights and legal options in a free, comprehensive case evaluation. All you have to do is give us a call at (214) 231-0544.
What Is the GM Mass Recall About?
On February 7, 2014, GM issued a recall of approximately 800,000 of its Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac G5 models. Many more recalls followed in the ensuing months. Between January and June 2014, a total of 45 recalls were issued, affecting tens of millions of vehicles in the United States alone. All of this was caused by a small but potent flaw in the affected vehicles' ignition switch design.
What Is the GM Ignition Switch Problem?
According to the official recall notification released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: "The weight on the key ring and/or road conditions or some other jarring event may cause the ignition switch to move out of the run position, turning off the engine. If the key is not in the run position, the air bags may not deploy if the vehicle is involved in a crash, increasing the risk of injury."
Factors that increase the risk of the key moving out of the "run" position without warning include:
- Front-end collisions
- Driving over bumpy terrain and objects
- Driving with a heavy key chain
- Accidentally bumping the key or steering column
Was GM Negligent?
The short answer is yes. GM was aware of the ignition switch defect as early as 2001, yet the company took no action. And even when they received more reports in 2005, they nixed a recall in favor of a Service Bulletin issued only to dealerships, effectively keeping the defect hidden from the public. Since then, many people have died or been seriously injured. Much of this could've been prevented if only GM addressed the defect as soon as it was known.
Which GM Vehicles Have Been Recalled?
As of June 2014, the following models have been recalled due to defective ignition switches:
- Buick Lacrosse - 2005-2009
- Buick Lucerne - 2006-2011
- Buick Regal LS & GS - 2004-2005
- Cadillac Deville - 2000-2005
- Cadillac CTS - 2003-2014
- Cadillac DTS - 2004-2011
- Cadillac SRX - 2004-2006
- Cadillac Escalade - 2011-2012
- Cadillac Escalade ESV - 2011-2012
- Cadillac Escalade EXT - 2011-2012
- Chevrolet Avalanche - 2011-2012
- Chevrolet Camaro - 2010-2014
- Chevrolet Cobalt - 2005-2010
- Chevrolet HHR - 2006-2011
- Chevrolet Impala - 2000-2014
- Chevrolet Malibu - 1997-2005
- Chevrolet Monte Carlo - 2000-2008
- Chevrolet Silverado HD - 2011-2012
- Chevrolet Silverado LD - 2011-2012
- Chevrolet Suburban - 2011-2012
- Chevrolet Tahoe - 2011-2012
- Daewoo G2X - 2007-2009
- GMC Sierra LD - 2011-2012
- GMC Sierra HD - 2011-2012
- GMC Yukon - 2011-2012
- GMC Yukon XL - 2011-2012
- Oldsmobile Alero - 1999-2004
- Oldsmobile Intrigue - 1998-2002
- Opel/Vauxhall GT - 2007-2010
- Pontiac G4 -2005-2006
- Pontiac G5 - 2007-2010
- Pontiac Grand Am - 1999-2005
- Pontiac Grand Prix - 2004-2008
- Pontiac Pursuit - 2005-2006
- Pontiac Solstice - 2006-2010
- Saturn Ion - 2003-2007
- Saturn Sky - 2007-2010
It is highly advised that you consult with a reliable auto product liability attorney if you have suffered damages in an accident involving any of the above vehicles.
Do I Have a GM Ignition Switch Lawsuit?
The Law Office of WT Johnson is currently accepting GM defective ignition switch injury and wrongful death cases in Texas. To determine whether you have a viable lawsuit and to learn about your rights and options, contact our office today.
- Bankruptcy Court Rules GM Cannot Be Sued for Many Ignition Switch Defects
- As Many As 67 Deaths Caused by Faulty GM Ignition Switches
- Consumer Alert: GM Ignition Switch Recall Information
If you would like to discuss your claim with a member of our team, don't hesitate to call us at (214) 231-0544. We're ready to help you, and won't rest until you receive the settlement you deserve.