Dallas Runaway Trailer Accident Attorneys
Get Compensation for Detached Trailer Accident Injuries
Commercial tractor trailers, or semi trucks, are a vital part of the Texas economy. But, they're also a dangerous and often deadly presence on the state’s roadways. While the trucking industry is highly regulated and drivers must be trained and licensed, this isn't always enough to prevent serious accidents. Because tractor trailers are much larger and heavier than most vehicles, their accidents can cause way more damage than regular automobile accidents.
If you or a family member has been involved in an accident with a commercial truck, you need to contact an experienced Dallas truck accident lawyer. Trucking companies and their insurers use armies of insurance litigators who'll do everything to reduce their company’s liability. Don’t try to fight them alone.
The Law Office of WT Johnson has represented Texas truck accident victims for over 25 years. Call us today at (214) 231-0544 or (800) 738-4046 to schedule a free consultation.
What is a Runaway Trailer Accident?
A runaway trailer accident happens when the speed of the trailer differs from the speed of the tractor pulling it. This can cause the truck to jackknife, or veer out of control. This can cause the trailer and tractor to become detached from each other. You can imagine how dangerous it is to have a 70,000 pound trailer barreling down a highway without a driver.
What Causes Runaway Trailer Accidents?
There are several reasons why the speed of a tractor becomes out of sync with the trailer it is towing. These can include:
- Speeding: A driver needs to take into consideration road conditions, the weight of the cargo they are towing, and the type of cargo they are towing. They must adjust their speed accordingly. Driving too fast for conditions or the type of load a truck is carrying causes many runaway trailer accidents.
- Descending a steep decline: The weight of a loaded trailer outweighs the tractor towing it. This can be a problem when the driver is trying to apply the brakes while driving down a steep hill. Due to its weight, the trailer can have more momentum than the tractor, causing jackknifing or separation.
- Sudden turns: At too high a speed, a sudden turn can cause a trailer to jackknife and become separated.
- Overloaded trailers: Federal statutes allow a tractor trailer to weigh up to 80,000 pounds. But, many trucking companies will overload their trailers to make more money per delivery. This increases the likelihood of jackknifing and separation.
- Poor vehicle maintenance: Drivers and trucking companies have a duty to get their vehicles regularly inspected and serviced for safety and performance.
- Manufacturer defect: If part of a tractor trailer, like a tire, clutch, or hitch is defective, it can contribute to serious accidents.
Speak with a Dallas Accident Attorney Today
If you've been involved in an accident with a tractor trailer, you may be entitled to compensation for certain damages. To find out what your options are, contact a Texas personal injury attorney.
The Law Office of WT Johnson has represented thousands of Dallas area truck accident victims. We have a thorough understanding of the trucking industry. We will fight to get you the settlement you deserve.
Don’t hesitate. Call our Dallas runaway trailer accident lawyers today at (800) 738-4046 for a free consultation.
If you would like to discuss your claim with a member of our team, don't hesitate to call us at (214) 231-0544. We're ready to help you, and won't rest until you receive the settlement you deserve.